Are you tired of buying bottled water for your home, or do you live in an area with poor water quality? If so, making distilled water at home may be the solution you’re looking for.
In this guide, we’ll walk you through the process of making distilled water from the comfort of your own home.
Table of Contents
What is Distilled Water?
Distilled water is water that has been purified through a process of distillation, which involves boiling water and then collecting the steam that is released.
The steam is then condensed back into liquid form, leaving behind any impurities, minerals, or other substances that were in the original water. This process results in water that is nearly 100% pure.
Why Make Distilled Water at Home?
There are many reasons why you might want to make distilled water at home. Perhaps you want to use it for drinking, cooking, or watering plants.
Or maybe you need it for a specific industrial or scientific application.
Whatever your reason, making distilled water at home is relatively easy and inexpensive, and it can save you money in the long run.
How to Make Distilled Water at Home
There are several methods you can use to make distilled water at home. Here are five of the most common methods:
Total Time: 7 minutes
Method 1: Using a Distiller
A water distiller is a device that heats water to boiling and then collects the steam that is released. The steam is then condensed back into liquid form, leaving behind any impurities, minerals, or other substances that were in the original water. Water distillers are relatively expensive, but they are the most efficient and effective way to make distilled water at home.
To use a water distiller, follow these steps:
1. Fill the distiller with water.
2. Turn on the distiller and wait for it to heat up.
3. Collect the distilled water that is produced.
Method 2: Using a Pot and Lid
You can also make distilled water using a pot and lid. Here’s how:
1. Fill a pot with water.
2. Place a heat-safe bowl in the center of the pot.
3. Place the lid upside-down on the pot.
4. Turn on the heat and wait for the water to boil.
5. As the water boils, steam will rise and hit the lid, which will cause it to condense back into liquid form.
6. The condensed water will drip into the bowl.
7. Collect the distilled water that is produced.
Method 3: Using a Solar Still
If you live in a sunny area, you can make distilled water using a solar still. Here’s how:
1. Fill a large container with water.
2. Place a smaller container inside the larger container.
3. Cover the larger container with plastic wrap, making sure it is sealed tightly around the edges.
4. Place a rock in the center of the plastic wrap, directly over the smaller container.
5. Place the container in direct sunlight.
6. As the water heats up, steam will rise and hit the plastic wrap, which will cause it to condense back into liquid form.
7. The condensed water will drip into the smaller container.
8. Collect the distilled water that is produced.
Method 4: Using a Pressure Cooker
You can also use a pressure cooker to make distilled water. Here’s how:
1. Fill a pressure cooker with water.
2. Place a heat-safe bowl on a trivet in the center of the pressure cooker.
3. Lock the lid of the pressure cooker in place.
4. Turn on the heat and wait for the pressure to build up.
5. Once the pressure has built up, turn down the heat and let the water boil for 20 minutes.
6. Turn off the heat and wait for the pressure to release.
7. Open the pressure cooker and collect the distilled water that is produced.
Method 5: Using a Dehumidifier
If you have a dehumidifier in your home, you can use it to make distilled water. Here’s how:
1. Place a bowl under the spout of the dehumidifier.
2. Turn on the dehumidifier and wait for it to collect moisture from the air.
3. The moisture will collect in the bowl as distilled water.
How to Store Distilled Water
Distilled water should be stored in a clean, airtight container to prevent contamination. It can be stored at room temperature or in the refrigerator, and it will stay fresh for several months.
Safety Precautions When Making Distilled Water
When making distilled water at home, it is important to take certain safety precautions to avoid accidents and ensure that the water is safe to use. Here are some tips:
- Always use clean, filtered water.
- Never use water that has been treated with chemicals or has a high mineral content.
- Always follow the instructions for your chosen method of distillation.
- Be careful when handling hot water and steam.
- Use heat-resistant gloves and goggles if necessary.
- Make sure your workspace is well-ventilated.
- Keep children and pets away from your distillation setup.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Using Distilled Water
There are several benefits and drawbacks to using distilled water.
Some of the benefits include:
- It is nearly 100% pure and free of impurities and minerals.
- It can improve the taste and quality of certain beverages and foods.
- It can prevent mineral buildup in appliances and pipes.
- It is safe for use in medical and scientific applications.
Some of the drawbacks include:
- It lacks essential minerals that are found in tap water and other types of water.
- It can be more expensive than other types of water.
- It can be time-consuming to make at home.
Distilled water is a pure, high-quality form of water that has many uses in households, industries, and scientific applications.
Making distilled water at home is easy and can be done using a variety of methods. Whether you need distilled water for drinking, cooking, or other purposes, there is a method that will work for you.
Is distilled water safe to drink?
Yes, distilled water is safe to drink. However, it lacks essential minerals that are found in tap water and other types of water, so it should not be the sole source of water in your diet.
Can I make distilled water using a coffee maker?
No, a coffee maker is not designed to make distilled water. You will need to use one of the methods outlined in this article.
How long does it take to make distilled water?
The time it takes to make distilled water depends on the method you are using. Some methods can produce distilled water in as little as 20-30 minutes, while others may take several hours.
Is it necessary to use a distiller to make distilled water?
No, you can make distilled water using a variety of methods, including boiling, freezing, and using a dehumidifier.
Can I store distilled water in a plastic container?
It is recommended to store distilled water in a glass or stainless steel container to prevent contamination from plastic chemicals. However, if you must use a plastic container, make sure it is labeled as safe for food use.